Friday, August 12, 2005

QR code



Do you have any idea about this picture?

The answer is it is QR code. 3 days ago, I thought, I would never use it or have any connection with the little square picture. But now, it entered my life all of a sudden. Actually, the small black and white picture knocked my door at the beginning of July. Little attention was paid to it at that momment. When my working partener holding a small green covered magazine M entered my office and said amazingly, "You Chinese people use QR Code!", the response he got is a blank look, "What is QR code."

The guy opened the little book and showed me those pictures on the top of each page. I was still confused. I grasped the book from his hairy hands and turned quickly to find instructions on how to use it.

Rignht, I got it. Firstly developed in Japan, QR codes have become a major tool to facilitate the usage of mobile data services, and QR codes help to overcome one of the most important barriers to mobile commerce and mobile content sales.

I downloaded the software with my not so modern mobile phone, (although it is not 6 months old) and begin to try the code.

Apparently, the six months old mobile is out of date, because it cannot scan the picture with its camera as the instruction describes. I have to put the digital code in manually. Anyway, it works and I was directed to the information the code represents for.

It is said that QR code is everywhere in Japan now. Could it be the next big thing is China? Can you imaging young people hold the little book in one hand and mobile in the other. Can you imaging they scan every little squared picture? Can you imaging your business card need to put on that little square picture?