Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Dreams of life

My French partner asked me a question, which brings me back 20 years ago. The question is: “I heard Chinese used to have four dreams in their lives, what were the four dreams?”

My Dad’s bicycle flashed in my memory, it is a big black one older than I am which was brought in 1974. The bike was one of my Dad’s dreams. I can still remember my father clean it during weekends. Now, it is old and rusty, my father still keep it in good condition.

The changing of Chinese people’s dreams revels the change of the society. The four dreams of my parents when they were in their 20s were bicycle, watch, radio and a sewing machine. My parents full filled their dreams gradually. Many of my shirts were made by my Mom on her sewing machine. The first radio in my family was made by my father, who majored in chemistry in University.

Then, the dreams changed at the 1980s. The four dreams were television, refrigerator, washing machine and telephone. My parents, again, full filled those dreams. The first television in my household was bought by my father during his stay in the US., the first refrigerator was bought a year later. For the telephone, it is totally different situation in the 1980s. Telephone network was not well build and fixed line is restricted within governmental officials and high-level intellectuals alike. So my family got a fixed line in 1986 when he was eligible to get it.

That’s the story of the four dreams of the 1970s and 1980s. Then, my partner asked about the life dreams of the youth of the day. I thought for a while and count: an apartment, a car, travel around the country and around the world. He interrupted me and said “so there’s no difference from us, western youth.”

Yes, I thinks so, the life dreams of today’s Chinese youth don’t have any difference from those of the western youth. I just bought an apartment, a car and I have traveled a lot in North American, European and East Asia. My next dream is to get promotion in my work, get a Ph.D degree, have a child, travel more around the world…
So, what’re your dreams?