Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Verso, Skype and China

This is not a piece of "NEWS", because it has been leaked out on 8 Nov. But I want to brought it out again.
The OLD news is that Verso, a US company based on Altenta just begun a paid trial for 'NetSpective'. Verso hopes to use NetSpective, and M-Class filter to block VoIP calls made using Skype in China.
The blocking thing is not NEW also, because during the past summer, a telecom operator Shenzhen branch tried to block Skype by disconnecting users from the Internet after twice of warning.Skype-in and Skype-out are still illeagel in China because regulation of VoIP.
When the founder of Skype visited China, I was optimistic. I thought that maybe the young company can launch VoIP services in China soon. When Skype was acquired by Ebay, I was optimistic. I have been optimistic all the time because there are only a short period of time left before China open its telecom market. I thought the recent operators can be tolerant towards the green hand in the market. I was wrong.What I didn't expected is that the operator turns to a US company for filter technology to block another US technology.Great!
Can we block Skype with a Chinese technology if Skype has to be blocked?