Tuesday, September 13, 2005

When a dull person becomes keen to new technology

Mobile to me was merely a phone. I made phone calls with it and sometimes I send SMS to my friends. That’s all. I never tried MMS, WAP, IVR even the popular ring tone. My mobile was not personalized. However, this has changed about 4 months ago when I choose to work as a researcher for a telecom company.

It could be strange for most people to think that a person who is familiar with mobile phone market and VAS market never tried to use those value added services or to buy the latest model of mobile phone. But it is true when it comes to me.

I guess my days in the Europe make me a technology dull person. My knowledge about color ring back tone was at least 1 year late than ordinary Chinese. My first mobile with carma came about six months late than ordinary Chinese. It seems Asians are keen to new technologies than the Europeans do. Why was that? Possibly because IT industy and the Internet is currently the only technology that the West and the East are almost at the same level. (Someone would argue that biotec is another one). Psychologically, the Asians are more eager to change their lives than the Westeners do.

The most important consequence of my new job is that I, joined other Asians to be keen to new mobile technologies and the impacts on the society.

I got to know about mobile QQ, QR code, Skype, 3G, IPTV and many more. It is interesting to work in a high technology company as a researcher on human factors. It is interesting to try to figure out the next hype services for the market. And it is interesting to observe how people behave with their mobile phones and how do they construct their personal identities on weblog ...