Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Do celebrities sell product or not?

Recently a research agency released their study and one point is that celebrity endorsement is of little influence on Chinese people’s consumption. Chinese think celebrities are too far away from their daily lives.

The conclusion, somehow, conflicts to my own studies. I agree with the second point that celebrities are far away from ordinary Chinese, however, in the other hand, they are longing to be one of them, especially the youth. The recent Super Voice Girl Competition clearly reflects my point. The competition is similar to American Idol. Chinese are crazy for the competition. When the final competition came, the competition became an election than an entertaining program. In order to vote for the singer they like, some well-to-do white collars even bought thousands of SIM card to vote through SMS. Others gathered outside of department stores, parks etc to show support to the singers. Scholars call it “grass-root democracy”.

I have to say I do not agree with those who call the competition “grass-root-democracy”. What kind of democracy it is if the riches can buy thousands of SIM card in order to vote. However, the phenomena do reflect that the Chinese youth is eager to be someone.

For the first point, I cannot agree at all. If the conclusion of the agency is correct, then there would be no NBA hype, no Beckham hype, no Yao Ming hype, no Liu Xiang hype at all. A survey in the 1990s reveal that Michael Jordan is the most recognized American in China. The sneakers with Jordan’s name sold extremely well. Yao Ming sells products from telecom services to drinks, from watches to visa cards. If celebrities can’t sell products to Chinese, how could we explain brand queuing in the line waiting for Liu Xiang to endorse for them?

My conclusion is that celebrity sell products very well in Chinese market, if the endorser is well select and appealing to the target consumers.

M-Zone, the pre-paid service of China Mobile is a very good example of celebrity. Since M-zone target at the youth market, especially the University students. The company select Jay Chow as their endorser. Who is Jay Chow? He is a Hong Kong pop singer.

It is hard for adults to understand why this guy becomes idol of the youth. He is not well looking. His music to the adults’ ears cannot be called as music. However, the youth likes him. Some of my research respondents’ replies are representative:
- I know he is not good looking, but I think he has personality, he is unique.
- I like the lyric of his music, it is so special
- He is successful, he works very hard.
- I subscribe to M-zone because of Jay Chow. He gives me sense of security so I think the brand he endorse for can also supply me the sense of security.
I think I need not to say more about it. If you have chance to come to China, you can judge with your own eyes.