Friday, January 12, 2007

H&M is coming to Shanghai

H&M is going to open a shop at Shanghai middle Huaihai Road! I am shocking to know the news.

H&M to me is a place to get cheap clothes, which are fashionable but not of high quality. You can wear an H&M cloth when you are a student or an entrant-level career woman. But the brand is not for someone who has a serious job and get decent paid. It is a place I usually went to when I was a poor student in Amsterdam, dragging a dress from pales of clothes hanging on the shelf or from the basket. I usually waiting in long lines to try the clothes on and decide which ones to buy. And the price, oh, it is so cheap! Normally a shirt is of 20 Euros, a coat is about 30-50 Euros. In the discount season, you can get coat for only 7 Euros! I got several jeans at the price of 7 Euros, skirts of 10-15 Euros.

The country of origin labels on the clothes indicate most of them are manufactured in Asian areas, Indonesia, Cambodia, the Philippines, and of course China. That's why H&M can sale clothes at such low prices. And I found the clothes manufactured in China are of better quality than those manufactured in other Asian areas, and clothes with a label saying Spanish are of better quality than those with Chinese labels. If you don't believe me you can check at